Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Group Projects

Today in class we started talking about our group projects. We began class reading an article from a Penn State student on the different personality types who make up a group. There is the controller who is always in charge, the passive/aggressive who doesnt really do anything, the pseudo-productive who says they will do more than they do, the busy guy who is always busy, the mute, and the slacker.

I honesty could not decide which person I am in group settings. I think it depends on who the group is made of, and what the group is for. If it is something I am really passionate about, I would most definately take charge. On the flip side, when I couldnt care less about a group project, I think I would have a hard time being the controller. In general, I would say I am focused and very good with time management and practicality, which would make me a "tester" and a "focuser". I like to get work done in the best, most effecient way possible.

Last year I had an awful group project in my architecture class. We were in charge of creating a site model that we could insert our architectural models into. To begin, there were two different teachers facilitating this project. One teacher was fine with us doing this freehand and with cardboard, while the other teacher wanted us to use expensive material and the laser cutter. This created the first problem. The students of the first teacher did not want to spend the money or the time creating a model they didnt have to, while the students of the second teacher really needed to do it her way to get a good grade.

When we finally decided on the material/method, we decided to divy up the responsibilities. One girl became in charge of the whole thing. While she was good at first, she became very annoying as she complained all the time about how she was doing all the work. This is what the Penn State student would call the "matyr controller". She did volunteer for the position- mainly to get brownie points with her teacher, so I feel that is partly her problem.

After intense debates/arguments/frustration/headache, we finally completed the project. Some people did very little work while others did a lot.

I feel if everyone knows the "personalites" and roles of group members from the get go, this could possibly save a lot of headache.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it all depends upon the situation, class, etc as to what role to take on. Perhaps even more important i think is adapting to the roles that the others play. If everyone else is timid, I will take charge to get the job done. If there appears to be a controller who actually knows what he/she is doing, I may take a back seat and do what I'm told if I think the project is going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete